Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Learned Something New 12/17/08

Today I learned:
1) That people just aren't buying fresh Christmas trees like in the past
I remember when we went to get out tree the other week, the man at Home Depot made mention of this as well, but I didn't really thing about it until I heard a story on the news the last night. When we went to look for our tree I couldn't find the type I wanted in the size I wanted and the man told me that they were expecting new shipments every Wednesday. He told me that this year they are only shipping in 500 trees as opposed to the 800 they had shipped in last year. I asked him why that was and he said he wasn't really sure, but it might have to do with the economy or the fact that more people are buying artificial trees these days. Then I saw a story on the news last night and this story alluded to the fact that many people are downsizing when it comes to spending money on Christmas and there are stories of families who are going without a real tree this year and buying small, artificial tree or just foregoing a Christmas tree altogether. That was a sad story to think that there might be some children out there who will not have a tree this year.

No comments: