Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Learned Something ELSE new - 12/2/08

Today I also learned:
2) How to hook up Christmas lights
My husband was home for the week of Thanksgiving. That was a good thing because his honey-do list was growing so long since his last trip back home in October. Because he was home for 5 days the main thing was for him to decorate the yard and outside of the house with our Christmas lights because he is not going to be home again until Christmas. So he worked all week...and he worked and he worked. All the lights were up by Sunday night and he had the timers hooked up and all was good in our world of Christmas. Until Monday morning when he decided to add a few more things. His flight was at 5:00 pm, but I had to take him to the airport early because it's an hour away and I wanted to make sure I was back home in time to pick the kids up from school. So we left home at 1 pm. And again all the lights plus the new lights he put up were ready to go...So I thought....Then 5 pm came when it was getting dark and the timers were supposed to kick on. Nothing happened. Half the lights came on and the other half did not. It was too cold and too dark for me to go out and fiddle around with this stuff, not to mention the fact that I am not one for playing around with electricity. So my husband calls me and I tell him that the lights aren't working and he responds by telling me that we must have blown a fuse in one of the strings of lights. So this morning I had to go out and retrace all the cords back to the source and try and figure out which string was making the lights not work. I ruled out that it was not a blown fuse because everything else was working. Then he told me that I probably blew a fuse in the string of lights -- he was correct, but what good did that declaration make when he is Las Vegas working and I am here in Texas with Christmas lights that don't work! Anyway, I figured out which lights they were, replaced the fuse with his helpful directions by tele-conference and proceeded to move a bunch of the strings one to different extension cords and outlets so as not to repeat the blown fuse problem every night for the next 23 days. Whew...I hate dealing with electricity, but when it comes to Christmas lights I will make an exception and I am glad that I learned that today!

No comments: